“Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!”
Bob Marley quote of the week. Some choose to adapt this quote to explain and support their idea of free thinking. Some of these people would be ones to say “I want to be different. I don’t want to be part of society. I’m not going to be a slave to what I was taught while growing up. I am going to break free from the brainwashing of our American society and lifestyles.” We feel, however, this quote has much more to offer than mental anarchy. In truth, this quote can be used as a reminder to continually educate yourself. The only way to “emancipate yourselves from mental slavery” is to award yourselves knowledge of all realms. Your brain is never going to quit accepting truth, light and knowledge. The more you educate yourself the stronger your mind will become. A person with a strong mind will be the one to have a free mind just as a strong man bound in ropes could break free.
This is not to say the only way to have a free mind is by attending a traditional college and only feeding your mind what you learned while there (though that is a very bona fide way of gaining knowledge). That idea in itself is mental slavery of a different note. Travel, prayer, reading, learning new skills and interacting with all types of people are just some of the ways we “can free our minds.” So get out there and do it!
2 comments:
Well said Cedric and Sarah! I always new you were smart;) That's a really great and insightful quote. Gave me a lot to think about. Thanks!
and I will...I WILL!
Post a Comment