Sunday, December 2, 2007

Dad Thoughts

Being a dad is very cool. I feel a little inadequate at times, but mostly I feel lucky. I can't think of a better mom than Sarah. She's doing a bang up job of it. I sometimes feel like it's a crazy commitment to be a parent. I'm going to have to be the one to reassure Scout that there's no such thing as closet monsters or the boogie man or Rosie O'Donnell, when I'm still not convinced that they don't exist myself. I'm going to have to lie and say that Santa Clause and the Tooth Fairy exist (and probably dress up as each... not for my own pleasure, I promise). I'm going to have to watch as she goes on her first date with some guy I already don't approve of, even though he's probably pooping his diaper right now.I'm going to have to veto outfits, turn off the television, stay up late waiting for her to come home safely and even ward off a gang of dangerous gypsies who may try to steal her away to a nomadic lifestyle someday. I'm perfectly happy doing all of this, so long as she doesn't become a hippy. Seriously though, I want her to know foremost of my testimony of Christ and the importance of obedience to his commandments. If she never doubts my and Sarah's testimonies (as I never doubted those of my parents) I feel like we will have done our job right.





No comments: